Saturday, August 26, 2006

From Beautiful Alaska to Texas~

God's beauty is everywhere - and Emily and I have really traveled thru alot of His country. We left on Tuesday at 9 am from Lebanon, OR and arrived in Longview, TX, on Saturday, at 11:30 am. Tuesday evening we spent in Star, ID with Ben, Katie, and Owen, arriving at 6:30 PM. What fun we had....Owen showing us his tricks on his skate board, watching him play, enjoying a delicious meal made by Katie, giving Owen a bath, and reading him books, and playing cranium....we left there on Wednesday, at 8:15 am. We would have loved to play more, but we were on a mission and a schedule.
Wednesday we drove 13 hrs....arriving in Ft. Collins at 9:45 pm and ready to hit the bed.....good ole Super 8! Wyoming seemed to go on and on...Emily did a great job driving.
Thursday we left at 7:3o am and arrived at Castle Rock at 9:15 am. Amy and Jordan arrived at 10:15 and it touched my heart that Jordan still remembered Gama. He certainly gave us both BIG warm hugs. We played with him in a play ground area at the outlet mall and I gave him the boy toy quilt and a ball. The quilt should have been done on May 21 but somehow that didn't happen. Owen did receive his on July 20. The hour went fast and we had to get going. We appreciated amy coming as she had not drove out of the Fort before...thank you for pictures, the frames and the wonderful Love Spell lotion!!! We arrived at Matthew and Connie's - outside of Cottonwood Falls on Thursday evening. We got to visit 45 minutes with the Garretts - what fun seeing them again. So much to talk about and so little time. They fixed us plates and we ate as we visited. It was great being in Roann's home and Rosann came from Open House. We took pictures.....I hadn't seen the girls for at least 23 yrs! The Lord binds us together. We did find Matthew's house...and visited for an hour. We had arrived there at 9:45 pm another long day. We had lost one hour because of the time changing in Kansas. I slept good.
On Friday am - after eating brkst with Connie and Matthew - emily and I followed Connie to the high school...where I attended from 68' to 72' - many years ago. I got to visit alittle with Mr. Menke - he was certainly surprised to see me. Emily met him. It was strange seeing the school again. Mary Beth also met us there and we visited for 25 minutes. Many many memories with her.
Oh and Matthew showed emily some of his 'art' work in his shop and also gave her a leather apple that he made and an airplane model that he made many many years ago...he also surprised us and filled our gas tank up before we were up....He is so helpful, cheerful, fun to be around, and just a great guy! and my brother!
We traveled to Emporia and visited with Aunt Dorothy for 35 minutes...she has a nice place to live. We took pictures again of course, and I told her that I have many wonderful memories of time spent with her, and that she made a postive impact on my life....I love her...and she said she really appreciated hearing that - it meant alot to her......you know people are way more important than things, or getting to do 'something' or go somewhere' - people and relationships...no one can take the wonderful memories from me.
We got on the toll road there in Emporia and headed to Wichita....and it took 8 hrs to get to Aunt Rhoda's and Tinks...........oh we were sooooo glad to finally reach our destination.... - it was very stressful thru Dallas as it was traffic and more traffic..........the car died two times - in the 1st lane - I turned the air conditioner off in the 100 degree weather - I am sure it was hard to keep running since we were going slow - I was emily's co pilot - and we made it with God's help. The car did great really - 35-45 miles per gallon. We got to Aunt Rhoda's at 6:45 pm. Tired and relieved. I am soooo thankful for that time with Emily. We saw God's country together. Priceless. We also rented an audio book - cassettes - Black by Ted Decker - that helped pass the time.
We enjoyed visiting with them, and slept well that night....Of course they fed us real good - yummy meatloaf....and then yummy waffle in the am with fresh applesauce. Tink made my egg perfect and I do mean perfect - He asked if there was anything else he could do for me - and I stood and said, yes, a hug!!!!
He smiled....such a gentleman!!! We left at 9:30 am
So after 2,485 miles we arrived in Longview Texas - LeTourneau! We got checked in and unloaded - emily saw alot of her friends, and we went to the storage unit and got her things - and came back to the dorm drenched in sweat! HOT - I took a shower.
We have her somewhat moved in. We went to eat finally at 8 pm at Chick a Fil or something like that.....and got some things at Walmart...tomorrow we need an oil change- after sleeping in.
Emily will take me to Mary's Sunday evening or late afternoon. I get to stay in her dorm - so it saved us driving the 40 minutes one way to Mary's - although I wanted to eat breakfast at Cracker Barrel - so that won't happen now. But Emily watched part of a movie with her friends in a room, and I am here blogging. I fly out at noon on Monday the 28th and get to Portland at 7:44 pm - my dear sister Molly is picking me up. So while I am glad we are getting emily settled - and she does many more things to do, and things to decide, I also realize that Sunday night is coming and I will have to say goodbye again....
I am so thankful for this time.
You would not believe the beautiful building they are building for the chapel and music - it is huge - round and beautiful!
I know you will be praying for Emily - it is hot here, hard to be enthusiastic, and hard studies are coming - but God is faithful - and promises strength for each day.................He will give her wisdom, strength, peace, His presence, His power, and His peace, and fill her with His love, grace, and mercy, and will provide what she needs - as His Word says it - so it is so.
The God of the universe cares for us!

Megga love to you
So much to say - but my eyes are saying - shut shut, please lay down and turn lights off.
We were so blessed to get to plan the trip so we could see Katie, Amy, Matthew, Dorothy, the Garretts, and many others and of course Ben and Owen, and Jordan. and we just had seen Ben and Kimber in Alaska...... Kimber called to say my first kuspik sold - so now I have 11 more to make.....
Love and blessings
God's redeeming Love - we can't live without it - without Him
Mom, Gama

PS - Owen and Jordan - you can call Gama ANYTIME you want to!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't dream that you'd have time to blog during your trip, so didn't see this entry until today, 8/30. Great account of your trip and the pictures are great to see, too!